Recent Commercial Posts
Commercial Mold Prevention
SERVPRO vans outside a commercial facility in NJ on a Saturday morning.
Mold growth is NOT a new subject. In fact, many commercial structures end up closing their doors to business for months due to mold contamination. That is why in any large facility the importance of maintaining that facility to deter water leaks, moisture problems, and poor air quality should be the main focus.
Most mold growth is discovered after we get called to remediate a water issue, and we discover it growing behind removed material such as sheet rock, sink vanities, cabinetry, etc. In many instances, the mold growth has gone undetected for months, if not years.
According to the Environmental Protection Agency, the key to mold control is moisture control. Solve moisture problems before they become mold problems.
Mold Prevention Tips
- Fix leaky plumbing and leaks in the building as soon as possible.
- Watch for condensation and wet spots.
- Prevent moisture due to condensation by increasing surface temperature or reducing the moisture level in the air (humidity). To increase surface temperature, insulate or increase air circulation. To reduce the moisture level in air, repair leaks, increase ventilation (if outside air is cold and dry), or dehumidify (if outdoor air is warm and humid).
- Keep heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) drip pans clean, flowing properly and unobstructed.
- Vent moisture-generating appliances, such as dryers, to the outside where possible.
- Maintain low indoor humidity, below 60% relative humidity (RH), ideally 30-50%, if possible.
- Perform regular building/HVAC inspections and maintenance as scheduled.
- Clean and dry wet or damp spots within 48 hours.
- Don't let foundations stay wet. Provide drainage and slope the ground away from the foundation.
Potential health concerns are also an important reason to prevent mold growth and to remediate/clean up any existing indoor mold growth.
Obviously staying on top of moisture issues is the key to keeping mold under control.
Should your commercial building need mold remediation, remember that SERVPRO has specially trained technicians that can handle the job. No job is too large or small, and we are available 24/7.
Retail Floor Remediation
This recent job was caused by a sewage backup.
If your retail store suffers a water leak or flood, you must call SERVPRO as soon as possible. The faster we arrive, the more quickly we can take action to get your shop back to preloss condition so you can resume operating.
One of the essential steps in fixing water damage in your NJ business is removing water from the carpets. Some of the issues with wet carpets include:
- Causing delamination and requiring replacing.
- Preventing you from re-opening your store.
- Providing a potential breeding ground for mold
Our teams have a range of tools to help with water extraction. We have truck-mounted and freestanding pumps to deal with large puddles of water, even if your business has multiple stories. We have small, light carpet wands for vacuuming water from the carpets’ surface and getting into remote areas. We also have extraction tools that rely on the weight of our technician standing on them to press the water out of the carpet.
It is often possible to save carpets from water damage with thorough drying.
Certified SERVPRO Cleaned
A team of SERVPRO technicians cleans an NJ school after a COVID-19 outbreak.
Let us help you get back to business
As our communities reopen, we’re all moving back toward a new kind of normal. The expectations of visitors, customers, and employees who come into our establishments have evolved, and staying safe and well is a top concern. The global COVID-19 pandemic has changed what it means to be clean, and we’ve developed a program to help your business meet the new higher standard of clean that is now expected.
Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned is a defensive cleaning program we’re offering to businesses and commercial locations to address the current COVID-19 pandemic. This proactive viral, pathogen cleaning program goes well beyond janitorial or carpet cleaning. By choosing Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you, your employees, your customers, and your community can rest assured that you’ve selected a higher cleaning standard – you are Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned.
Extensive training and specialized products
As the #1 choice in cleanup and restoration*, we stand on more than 50 years of experience and expertise to help your business become Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned. Beyond fire & water, SERVPRO professionals are trained and experienced in biohazard decontamination and chemical spills – always adhering to the cleaning and decontamination standards set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local authorities.
From formulating and creating our proprietary cleaning products, like SERVPROXIDE, at our headquarters in Gallatin, TN, to taking the utmost care while disinfecting, we will ensure you and your business are set up to inspire consumer confidence as the economy continues to reopen.
3 C’s – Consult, Clean, and Certify
When the stakes are this high, you want a partner who has developed an industry-leading, proprietary training program, cleaning solutions, and remediation processes over decades. We’ve cleaned up some of the most challenging biohazards imaginable. Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned reflects our unique experiences and capabilities. The program is grounded in our uniqueness. 3 C’s: Consult, Clean, and Certify.
Every New Jersey business is different, which is why you’ll be assigned a Cleaning Protocol Consultant who understands your business and will create a cleaning program to meet your specific needs. This program will be developed based on your business type, size of space, amount of high-frequency touchpoints, foot traffic, and congestion points.
Based on your specific business needs, your location will undergo a thorough, deep clean, using exclusive cleaning products, according to protocols set forth by the CDC. Our employees have years of experience, and we will go beyond the scope of work that regular janitorial staff performs. Cleanup procedures generally include cleaning porous and non-porous surfaces, disinfecting non-porous surfaces, cleaning and disinfecting equipment, tools, and/or supplies used for the cleanup process, and disposal of hazardous materials. In the event of a suspected or confirmed COVID-19 event, we will be there cleaning within 24 hours to ensure you get back to business as quickly as possible.
Once your New Jersey business location has been Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you will gain access to proprietary signage, digital emblems, and other collateral that communicates that you’ve selected a higher standard of clean available to help protect your employees and customers. And because we add the day, month, and year to that proprietary stamp of clean, your guests will know that not only did you choose Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, but that your location is being cleaned regularly at this standard.
Call today for a Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned Consultation
We’re Here to Help – 24 hours a day, seven days a week – until life is back to normal in the communities we all call home.
Preparing your business for a disaster
SERVPRO of Jersey City North/The Heights assisting a commercial customer on a Saturday.
Disasters like water damage, fire damage or flood, no matter how big or small, can never be predicted. But you CAN prepare for them!
The best way to reduce business interruption following a disaster is to plan for it NOW. Preparation is a key component for making it through any size disaster, no matter how big or small.
According to the latest industry research, 50% of all businesses never recover after a disaster. Of the businesses that do open, approximately 75% of those businesses had a plan in place.
One of our most effective tools in helping customers in the event of an emergency is the ERP or Emergency Ready Profile. This profile provides all the critical information needed in emergency situations and minimizes business interruption.
The main reason to have an ERP done for your facility or home is:
- It provides a concise Profile Document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency.
- It is a guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster.
- It is an identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin.
- It provides facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority areas, and priority contact information.
This invaluable service is offered at no cost to our customers and leaves them with peace of mind that their home, office, or school will be ready for whatever happens.
This service can also be done for residential properties, so homeowners can rest assured they have the information at hand when a disaster strikes.
Be prepared! Call SERVPRO to schedule your Emergency Ready Profile and rest easy knowing that we will be faster to your disaster!
Winter Storm Prep for Businesses
A winter storm hits NJ.
New Jersey is getting a significant storm that can batter us with wind, rain, snow, and flooding.
If you own a business that is in a high-risk area for flooding, these tips can help you minimize the damage you may be unfortunate enough to endure
1. Store important documents and valuables in a location that will be dry and secure.
2. Check your gutters and spouts to ensure they won’t be clogged.
3. Make sure to have a working sump pump.
4. If possible, move any electronics or other costly items to a higher floor or at least try to raise them several feet off the floor to minimize any flood damage.
1. Turn off electricity in any affected areas. Even if there’s a power outage, the power may be suddenly restored without notice and could cause a shock hazard.
2. Be cautious of any structural compromises or falling debris ff you choose to enter a damaged building.
3. Keep out of the floodwater as much as possible to reduce the risk of slip-and-fall hazards and bacterial contamination.
4. Be sure to wear protective clothing – including slip-resistant shoes, gloves, eye protection, and a mask – in order to minimize potential risks.
When flooding occurs, the quicker you can start your cleaning and restoration efforts, the better your chances of minimizing long-term damage and costs.
Here at SERVPRO of Jersey City North/The Heights, our expert technicians are available 24/7 to respond to any flooding emergency big or small. We have the advanced training, skills, and equipment necessary to clean and restore your business to its pre-flood condition as quickly as possible.